Friday, January 18, 2008

#4: Team and Travel

Is it apparent yet that I love to travel? So many aspects of my China trip I loved, not the least of which was my team and the experience itself. I've never been on a mission trip with a team of only seven before. It was (see picture below) Beth, Brenda, Brad, me, Gary, Erin, and Tallie.


Brad bothered me (and I bothered him right back). I made sure Tallie paced herself when we ate. Beth and I chatted while warming-up in our sleeping bags and I finished her rice for her. Gary made all of us laugh. I enjoyed watching Erin with the students. Brenda gave me back massages (and was a wonderful "mother hen" to the team). What a great team!

My new best friend was our friend's 4-year-old son. We played together for three hours on the way to the village. I told him a story about Jared-the-dinosaur and Claude-the-turtle (just making it up as I went along). His chatter was so refreshing. We enjoyed playing together in the village and wrestled with a minature dolphin on the morning we left.


The following pictures show our hotel, a market, a senic shot of the village, and the van we traveled in.




I enjoyed the whole China experience: public transportation, squatties, Chinese McDonald's and Pizza Hut, markets, chopsticks, honking, mountain roads, 13 hour plane ride, bartering, walking, freezing one day and warm the next, layovers, rice, taking your own toilet paper wherever you go . . . . . there's nothing quite like it.

3 comments:

  1. I miss China so much. . . I'm glad you could experience a little of the country that I have fallen in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the redecorating you did. Very nice.

    I like your lists of things you like... they're very cool, and uniquely you :)

    BTW, the youth leader meeting was really good. The second half is in the morning, so i should go to bed soon. But it was really encouraging.

    Love ya!
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, I'm thoroughly enjoying your China updates in segments. And your experiences in China... squatties, taking toilet paper everywhere with you, McDonalds (was your food spicy?), and a bunch of other things you mentioned... it's crazy how I'm visiting all the places you have recently visited. I'd love it if we could share those experiences... but I'm glad we can kind of sort of share them. ;)

    By the way, I am 18 hours ahead of you all.

    Umm... you and Charity make me laugh. I miss you both! Hug each other for me. :)

    Love ya!
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete