Tuesday, January 29, 2008

#5: Food in China

My China recounting would not be complete without a glimpse of the food we ate. (You know me . . . I love to talk about food.)

"R-qui"s: One of my favorites. We bought them on the street corner in Kunming. What an amazing breakfast: tortilla, sweet peanut sauce, donut . . . all wrapped together. I miss them.


Favorites: In the village, we ate all of our lunches and dinners at the headmaster's home. They so graciously provided for us. The food was amazing and always plentiful. A few of my favorites: eggs and tomatoes, some sort of fried potatoes, greens, bacon-like meat, peas, ground beef with spices, fried peanuts . . . I got quite good with those chopsticks.


"Joud-za": We were invited by the teachers to join them in making a Chinese tradition. I'm not sure how to spell it but phonetically it's pronounced: "joud-za." (I think . . . Brad may want to correct me on this one.) We rolled the dough into thin circles, folded cabbage and beef inside, and then boiled them. I ate entirely too many for dinner (dipped in sauce). Delicious!


Hot pot: One of the most interesting meals. You pick out random raw vegetables, meats, and noodles from the buffet. Then you put them in a pot of boiling broth at your table (spicy or mild) or fry them on the skillet. We wore aprons so as not to be splattered. Rob brought us random things to try: squid, octopus, duck intestines, quagulated blood, a chicken foot. I like being adventurous with food.




Jana's travel tip: When you go places, eat their food. Don't be afraid to try things. It's all part of the experience.

3 comments:

  1. You know you are so much more adventurous than I. I couldn't imagine eating all of that... especially quagulated blood balls. You are truly amazing, I am praying for you and thinking about you. Love ya darling

    ReplyDelete