Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Australia Chili Fiasco

Bryce and I made chili last night and it turned out pretty well even though we kind of made it up as we went (let's add more tomatoes, maybe more beans, etc.). Plus the deer-burger was amazing. The whole experience reminded me of my chili cooking nightmare when I was in Australia. So, I searched for the blog where I wrote about it and decided to repost. Without further ado, a guest blog from the Jana of almost 4 years ago . . .

August 28, 2006
Ten happenings from the life of Jana Alexis Eberly.
  1. Heavenly Man rehearsals are going well. Partnering is sure a learning experience for me. Daniel, Amy, and I are having a lot of fun putting the dance together. We perform the last week before I leave for New Zealand and the dance will be videotaped. No worries.
  2. Tuesday was my day to make chili. Well, the dinner didn't go so well. First, everything was great until we tried it. The chili was way too spicy. I guess their chili powder is a lot stronger than ours at home. We put in the correct amount but even I could barely eat it. So, I added a bunch of sour cream and water. It helped a little bit but Aussie's don't like spicy things at all. Half of them couldn't eat it. And then we were going to make cornbread. Alli went to find cornmeal and tried 3 stores but it doesn't exist in Australia. And then the rice wasn't done on time. However, the nachos were a big hit--thanks Amy. So, all in all, it was very discouraging. I know it wasn't anyones fault and not mine but it was still really disappointing. Add on top of that the fact that the house was packed--probably 6 extra people were here. Afterwards, the girls made me go out for coffee and surprised me by renting "In America.” A big group of us watched it together. So it ended up a good night.
  3. Wednesday I was exhausted. Probably the most tired I’ve been since I arrived here. My dance classes were killing me. I think I would have cried if we actually danced for jazz in the afternoon. Instead, we ended up sitting and talking. Sarah, my teacher, told us eight girls her love story. Great class.
  4. Thursday morning I called to talk to Brad and Brenda Miller, good friends from Church of the Good Shepherd. I also talked to their girls: Lydia, Emma, and Molly. Hello Miller family! Thanks for talking. Love you all!
  5. Canberra was a great trip. We left at 5:45am Friday morning and returned around 9:30pm Saturday evening. While there, we visited the US Embassy, Papua New Guinea High Commission, an art museum, Old Parliament House, a history museum, and the war memorial. We stayed at a youth hostel that had a swimming pool. I didn’t bring my suit, of course, but Shannon and I got up early Saturday morning to swim in our clothes. Great fun!
  6. Friday evening we had pizza for dinner. Then a few of us went to Starbucks. David, Amy, Shannon, and Jesse put money together to buy me a hazelnut white hot chocolate—because brilliant me forgot her money back at the hostel. Mmmm. My favorite place to visit was the war memorial. We even got to watch the closing ceremony with the bag piper.
  7. I did the projector for the morning service at All Soul’s Anglican Church. It was wonderful to be able to help out and to be involved. I didn’t even mess up once.
  8. Sunday evening Alli, Amy, Rosie, Camilla, and I went to St. Mary’s Catholic Church down town Sydney. The building is old and beautiful and I did enjoy the service. I love observing different services.
  9. On the way back, Alli and I stopped at a Woolworth’s to buy chocolate. I finally tried Flake with ice cream. It was delicious! My Aunt Kate has been telling me to try it—you were right: I loved it!
  10. I led devotions at the beginning of our ASC class this morning. I prepared last night and God just brought it all together. Here’s part of what I shared: John the Baptist is a radical, advocating change, extreme, revolutionary, rebellious, unusual, breaking with tradition, uncomfortable, abnormal. Jesus was the same. He completely blew out of the water all that they thought was spiritual and good. Jesus broke all of their spiritual rules.

“Jesus Christ demands the same unrestrained, adventurous spirit in those who have placed their trust in Him that the natural man exhibits. If a person is ever going to do anything worthwhile, there will be times when he must risk everything . . . Trust God and do the next thing.” Oswald Chambers

It’s 11:00pm. Way past my bedtime. Must hit the sack.
Love you all.
"Jahna"

1 comment:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed this post, JA! Just yesterday, I did some re-reading of my blog posts from China. I'm so glad we both did semester abroad!!!

    Congratulations on your success with the chili as a married woman - four years later! =)

    ReplyDelete