Friday, June 25, 2010

elsalvador: snapshots

More in-depth stories are on the way, but for now short snapshots of our El Salvador missions trip will suffice. What a crazy/wonderful week!
  • We lived in downtown San Salvador (the capital of El Salvador, population 2.1 million) for a week....in an apartment in the midst of the locals.
  • Trash was everywhere; they just don't see it the same way that we do - the neighborhood trash drop was right across the street from us....no trash bins so everyone just threw their trash on the ground and it was picked up periodically (by the trash truck and also by the random dog or passerby).
  • Stray dogs were everywhere, which reminded me of Romania and China.....only in the U.S. are dogs pampered, splurged on and treated like royalty.
  • I got to ride in the back of a pick-up twice; it seems to be the usual way of getting around in El Salvador (and not exactly a safe way).
  • Ministry opportunities included: 4 church services, testimony home visits, drama at Metro Centro, VBS for 5 days, and 2 visits to Tia Anna's orphanage.
  • I particularly remember three amazing times of worship: on the mountain, at the Pacific ocean, and at the CDA church.
  • Can I just say that I loved all of the colors in San Salvador: turquoise, blue, green, red, orange....all sorts of shades. Mix that with a variety of textures: sheet metal, concrete, tile, wood, stone and I was in design heaven.....got my brain spinning with ideas.
  • Not being able to speak the language was really frustrating for me....I remembered very little of my high school or college Spanish. That was probably the most challenging part of the trip.
  • When it rains in El Salvador, it pours. And I mean pours. One day we were stuck inside with all of the VBS kids during a thunderstorm (pure craziness!) and that's when my disposable camera was stolen from my pocket....good thing I only had a few pictures on it!
  • I have never been that constantly sweaty in my entire life. It did cool down some in the evenings but even then I still felt dirty & sticky. I think I'd rather live where I need to bundle up.
  • The Eagle students were amazing! I was very impressed with their positive attitudes, willingness to jump in, lack of complaining (about the heat & living conditions), and eagerness to love all of the people we met. I especially enjoyed getting to know all of the girls on the team.
  • Richard & Jennifer Mullinax (+ 4 kids) are C&MA missionaries in the city. We were privileged to hang out with them a bit at their home & the beach. Excited to be involved in their ministry from State-side.
  • It was at the same time very challenging and wonderful to serve & lead alongside Bryce. I'm glad we were able to go on the trip together. Our first week-long trip/vacation as a married couple (besides our honeymoon): serving cross-culturally in El Salvador. I think that's a good way to start.

And just so you know how truly spoiled I am, here is what I was most thankful for when we returned to the States:

  • being able to flush the toilet paper
  • a clean towel
  • a thick mattress
  • clean water from the faucet
  • a clean floor in my house
  • peanut butter & honey sandwiches
  • brushing my teeth with water from the faucet
  • a warm shower
  • air conditioning

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the update! I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for some pictures!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... and by the way, Korea is also a country that pampers their fufu dogs... maybe even worse than in the States? Not sure. Oh dear...

    ReplyDelete