Tuesday, July 6, 2010

elsalvador: VBS adventures

VBS. Monday through Friday we walked to an apartment complex to help with a "vacation Bible school": crowd control, love on the kids, oversee a few craft projects, play games, and just generally survive the craziness for two hours. Two ladies from Mario's church ran the games, crafts & Bible time in Spanish. I spent most of my time with the younger kids, while Bryce played with the older ones outside.

This experience was really challenging for me because of the language barrier. I'm someone who loves to have little conversations with kids and not being able to talk to them in Spanish just about killed me. By the end of the week, I was a little more comfortable. I spent a lot of time with two little girls and their younger brother (see pictures of me with them below) . . . so precious.

We found out later that the apartment complex was actually quite dangerous because a few gang members lived there . . . which is one reason we only went there during the day. I'm glad we were able to spend time with the children. I pray that those who raised their hands to accept Jesus will continue to walk with Him for the rest of their lives. And, if not, that one day their VBS experience will be a poignant reminder of how much He loves them.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Jana...

    I've enjoyed reading about your mission trip...I really have!

    ~Nichole

    ReplyDelete