Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Jesus is faithful

Life may not go according to your plan . . . but Jesus is faithful.
Scary things may come your way . . . but Jesus is always faithful.

"You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall." Psalm 18:28-29

I've been reading through Jeremiah and I greatly admire the prophet's honesty. He tells God exactly how he feels. The dialogue in chapter 15 goes something like this:

Jeremiah says: ". . . remember me and care for me. . . . think of how I suffer reproach for your sake. . . . Why is my pain unending and my wound grievous and incurable? Will you be to me like a deceptive brook, like a spring that fails?" (translation: hello God! have you forgotten me? have you deceived me? this life is hard and I am in pain. where are you?)

God says: "If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me; if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be my spokesman. Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them. I will make you a wall to this people, a fortified wall of bronze; they will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you to rescue and save you." (translation: repent! don't be like the people around you and complain to me. you're doing exactly what the people of Judah are doing! I will keep my promise to you - but I did not promise an easy life. I will be faithful to you.)

A call to repent. And a promise of salvation.
I think God wants all of us to heed His words to Jeremiah.
I know I am challenged to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment