Saturday, August 28, 2010

Does Jesus know me?

Jesus said: "Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not do [all sorts of miraculous things in your name]?!' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" (Matthew 7:22-23)

In What's So Amazing About Grace?, Philip Yancey makes an observation that startles me: "Pointedly, Jesus did not say 'You never knew me,' or 'You never knew the Father." . . . One of our main tasks, perhaps the main task, is to make ourselves known to God. Good works are not enough . . ." (p. 272)

I need to step back a moment to consider: what am I doing to make myself known to God? Actually, let me rephrase that: Am I letting God know me or am I just trying to do things for Him? Am I striving to be known by God? Am I drinking in His word daily, taking up the sword of the Spirit? Am I sharing with Him, praying consistently with all kinds of prayers and requests? (Eph. 6)

Jesus' words haunt me. Perhaps it's just what I need right now to snap me to attention.

Jesus, do you know me?

If not, I should sacrifice everything to make sure that He does.
Because, after all, it's the only thing that will matter in the end.

3 comments:

  1. i love that scripture says multiple things to us!

    i recently also read this verse as a part of a book study. we're reading "thus saith the lord?" which is a depth-digging look at how the prophetic operates, in people and churches. when john bevere looks at this verse, he refers to the immediate context and says that he heard the Lord ask, "why did they not say, 'i fed the hungry in your name'?" such great insights all around. praise God His word is alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Jana! Just read 1 Corinthians 8:3 this morning and thought of your post. Check it out.^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I like your selected reading material. :)

    ReplyDelete