Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jesus is...uncommon

Have you ever paused to consider just how amazing Jesus is? Do you realize His uncommonness?

Uncommon:
1. rare - appearing or happening infrequently
2. very great - used to emphasize the great extent of something

A few uncommon characteristics I have noticed lately:

- Jesus chose you & me before the creation of the world to be His very own. "For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world . . ." (Eph. 1.4).

- Jesus goes by one of our names, a name familiar & easy for us. Not some holy, other-worldly name (which would make more sense to me). ". . . you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins" (Mat. 1.21).

- Jesus intercedes with the Father on our behalf. "Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them" (Heb. 7.25).

- Jesus truly cares about the little details of my life. I mean, He really cares. He cares when I pray for a good deal before I walk into Goodwill. He cares when I am lonely at night when Bryce is gone. And he cares about my job situation. He cares and He has compassion. "He remembers that we are dust" (Ps. 103.14).

- Jesus wants to know me. The Creator of the world, the Savior of the world, and the Ruler of the world wants to know me. And He wants me to believe Him. "You are my witnesses . . . and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am He" (Is. 43.10).

- Jesus rose from the dead. He physically, bodily, actually, genuinely rose from the dead. His old, decaying body was swallowed up in a new, glorious body. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him" (Mark 16.6).

Jesus is unlike any other (supposed) deity. (Why? See all of the above reasons. Plus a million more.) Is there any other god like Him? He is truly uncommon, rare, special, exceptional, excellent, and incomparable.

Amazed - Desperation Band

3 comments:

  1. me again.

    have you heard the song "sing my love?" sung by kim walker?
    i think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete