Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Like wardrobe, like house

Have you ever noticed that one tends to decorate their house in a fashion similar to their wardrobe? For example, I generally wear neutrals: white, black, gray, jean, bits of brown . . . and then accessorize with color: a turquoise shirt, fun earrings, or red shoes. Every day for work I find myself wearing black or gray with a little bit of something else. My house is starting to look the same. General backdrop of neutral colors, with pops of color or a fun item here and there. Sometimes it seems like my outfits are so boring, but then I remember that this is my style; this is the way I like to "decorate" - my house and myself. And it's okay because it's me. :)

Kind of connected to that but not really . . . . . . . . . .

Last night at Bible Study Fellowship, two passages from Isaiah meant a lot to me:

1) If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all. (chapter 7, verse 9)

2) ... do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, He is the one you are to fear, He is the one you are to dread, and He will be a sanctuary. (chapter 8, verses 12-14)

So often I fear what this world fears. Even with a comfortable home and an abundance of material blessings and a loving husband & family and a God who promises to be my sanctuary (a refuge), I still fear. I do not stand firm in my faith. And that is when I begin not to stand at all.

Are you dreading what the world dreads?
Or are you standing firm in your faith?
Is Jesus your sanctuary?

1 comment:

  1. I am loving this BSF study of Isaiah....so relevant and convicting. Yet, I love seeing God's mercy and His tender love toward His people, even when He disciplines them.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.... :)

    ReplyDelete