Sunday, February 6, 2011

25 Before Twenty-Five

My birthday is exactly 2 months away. And, I hate to say it, but 25 seems old to me. I know it's really not that old, but in my mind I hardly even know how to imagine being 25. I could imagine 19 and 21 and 23 and barely 24, but not 25. Oh goodness.

I'm not even sure what I expected to accomplish at this point in my life, but I feel like I haven't made it. There was no actual do-this-by-age-25 plan . . . and yet, if I were honest, I wish I did more. Accomplished more. Traveled more. More schooling. Did "cooler" things. Saved more money. Did more in the line of having a family. Made more money. Had a more interesting job. Danced more.

And yet . . . if I sit very still and remember all that the last 25 years have held for me, I am very grateful for what God has done in my life. Not quite how I imagined it. Whatever that was. I'm going to take a deep breath and try to enjoy these last few weeks before I go over the hill . . . no, wait . . . continue the journey.

In honor of it being 2 months until the big day (and in an effort to make its approach fun/exciting and not scary/sad), I thought I would make a list of 25 things I want to do before my birthday. So, here goes (in no particular order):
  1. Go hiking with Bryce
  2. Take Parson on a walk once a week (weather permitting)
  3. Visit the Habitat Restore with Bryce
  4. Have the Miller family down for a visit
  5. Find & paint/refinish an end table for the library
  6. Reorganize & pair down my closet & make it pretty looking
  7. Complete all 3 levels of Jillian Michaels' "30 Day Shred" workout
  8. Play card games with somebody
  9. Get all dressed up and fancy for the Firefighter's Ball
  10. Paint my nails a bright color
  11. Go on a weekend retreat to a ski lodge with the youth group (but I don't have to ski)
  12. Finish hanging the curtains in the library
  13. Read a book from the Library for fun
  14. Finish the book "Surprised by Hope" (that I started a few months ago)
  15. Start taking a ballet class
  16. Bake or cook something just for fun
  17. Help host a baby shower for a dear friend
  18. Spend an evening at Starbucks all by myself
  19. Backup my computer files & upload all pictures to an online photo album
  20. Read my camera's manual and/or meet with someone for a lesson on how to actually use it
  21. Give Bryce lots of hugs & kisses (daily)
  22. Prepare & submit our taxes
  23. Reprint photos & finish (once and for all) our wedding photo album
  24. Crochet a scarf that is actually wearable
  25. Plan a trip to visit my sister & her family in Montreal

2 comments:

  1. 25 isn't old Jana...70 is :).
    I love your list. Definitely #25 is key! ;) Thanks for talking on the phone today. Love you lots. Miss you. Thankful for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the list coming along? Did I tell you that I started doing Jillian Michaels too?! I've only been doing it for about a week and a half... still on level one. Those push-ups kill me every time! Maybe I'll start level two next week... we'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete