Monday, April 4, 2011

I wrote this e-mail to my mom on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 from Sydney, Australia.

Mom, I've been doing lots of remembering lately. Yesterday I remembered when Dad used to travel and you would set up a restaurant for us. You would serve us dinner in the school room at our little table and have a French accent. That was so much fun! Just random memories like that keep coming to me.

Well, I might as well tell you the bad news now so you can work through it before I talk to you next Tuesday. Are you sitting down? My hair dye is permanent. I just realized it Tuesday night. We wondered why it wasn't fading very quickly. While in the grocery store buying dye for Shannon's hair, I showed her the one that I used and realized that it said "6 weeks of brilliant color" because after those 6 weeks you have to re-dye. I almost started hyperventilating and crying in the store. I really am okay with it now--Shannon has helped me realize it is just hair and it is not the end of the world.

There's my crazy news. I couldn't believe it at first and it bothered me the entire night. I kept exclaiming "my hair!!!!!!" Yet, amazingly, I didn't lay in bed regretting it and I've just been able to accept what happened. Last year, this would have bothered me for months and I would have had multiple panic attacks. It's okay---I do love the color and it looks good and I'll just have Michelle dye it back to my regular color before I go to school in January. And this way--you at home will get to see my lovely black hair in person. :) You should probably tell Dad, too, or have him read this e-mail. *Sorry Dad. I didn't do it on purpose at all.

It's 10:30 and I'm still in my pjs. This week has been absolutely amazing. Amy and I are going to Burwood Mall this afternoon and then we're going shopping in the city with Alli this afternoon.
Love you, Mother!
Jana

And then:

From: Bruce E Eberly
Date: Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 6:25 AM
Subject: We need to talk
To: Jana A Eberly

This is exactly the thing I was afraid of. I know that I can believe you, but it is hard because I work with youth who say one thing then do another. I am sure you did not "mean" to, but it happened. What would you have done if this was a "fake" tattoo" and it turned out to be real! I would like for you to call. We need to talk. I do not care what time it is for me. Wake me or get me at work today. But, you are to call!
DAD

I remember the scene perfectly. Amy and I were sitting in the computer lab at the college. We read the e-mail and then proceeded to freak out until we read the very next e-mail from my dad that basically said, "just kidding." Whew. I thought for sure I was in big trouble.

PS: The bleach bath did not help. My hair stayed black for at least 2 years, until it grew out completely. Note to self: do not dye long, curly hair ever again.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I dyed my hair was in college too. I dyed it black. My Mom cried when I told her. But mine was a wash out... so yeah I only had it that color for like 4 months. haha But later on I ended up dying it black permanently. I am still trying to grow it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I remember this so well. I was so proud of you, I thought it was the coolest thing :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete