Friday, August 26, 2011

End Table Goodness

It's finally here. The library end table is finally finished. Oh....it's only been about 7 months since I hatched this plan....but life and then nausea got in the way. No matter. It's done now and I'm pretty happy with it.

I found a $25 end table on Craigslist back in March. It felt solid, had character and lots of room to store books. I wasn't digging the chipped green though - that had to go.

But then it sat in my garage for awhile.

I finally started sanding and priming. Sanded the top all the way down and primed the rest of it.



Staining was the next step. Two applications of Minwax Jacobean stain did the trick for the top. I wanted it nice and dark.

I started with two coats of paint for the rest of the end table. It's a Valspar teal - the darkest teal swatch they have (sorry....I can't remember the color name off the top of my head). Certainly didn't look as dark painted as it did on the swatch. At this point I started panicking - it looked way to bright. I went to Lowes, hoping they would darken the quart of paint for me - no such luck - they won't touch the color after it's sold. Boo.

And so the table sat for awhile longer. Then I got super nauseous because of a certain someone and had no umph for projects.

Oh - and I forgot. The dog chewed part of the corner of the little door that was supposed to cover the upper right cubby. Oh well. Just another set back.

About a month ago, I started up again, this time with a heavy duty mask so I wouldn't breathe in the paint fumes. Two more coats of paint and it was looking significantly darker (or maybe I just didn't care anymore and wanted this thing done!). I did 3 coats of sealer on the entire piece (one especially for wood on the top and another kind for paint on the rest of it) and let it dry for a full 72 hours in the garage. Bryce helped me put on the 2 new knobs that I bought at Lowes. And he also spray-painted 4 casters (black, instead of silver) to use instead of the weird-looking round feet, and brought the finished project into the house while I was working to surprise me.

If you haven't scrolled down to look already (I don't blame you), here is the finished product in our library (mind you, no lamp or accessories yet, those will be coming). Ta-da! I love the sophistication it adds to the room and the splash of color.




*blogger is making me really frustrated right now and won't upload my other "final" pictures correctly. I'll try to get them up on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment