Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mary and Me

Identifying with Mary the mother of Jesus during pregnancy . . . it's something I never thought about before. Even though I may be 10 years her senior, I imagine our first-time-pregnant experiences have a few similarities. I can imagine her . . .
  • feeling baby Jesus kick for the first time
  • feeling nauseous all day long
  • feeling her baby's hiccups for the first time
  • feeling calf cramps in the early morning
  • feeling the turns and rolls and boxing all day long
  • feeling such love for this baby inside her
On the other hand, our experiences are so completely different . . .
  • she was a virgin, while I've been married for over two years
  • she was most likely ridiculed and ostracized for her pregnancy, while mine has been nothing but excitement and congratulations
  • she had her baby in a stable with only a husband attending, while I will have mine in a hospital that feels more like a fancy hotel
  • she knew there was something special and infinite about her baby, while mine will be simply human and a sinner, just like me
Despite the obvious dissimilarities, I can't help but somehow feel closer to Mary this year and more understanding of her condition and experiences.

May I praise the Lord as she did:

My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. . . .
His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.
He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever,
even as he said to our fathers.
Luke 1:46-55

2 comments:

  1. I forgot to comment on this post earlier, but I really loved it! Those verses from Mary's song have really been in my head lately. Have you heard Chris Tomlin's song that goes along with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that I have. Which song is that?

    ReplyDelete