Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lent - doing, not giving up

Justus usually eats twice during the night. At first, I just sat there on the bed and zoned while he ate but it was so incredibly boring. So, I decided to read. (Might as well be semi-productive. You know me.) During the second week of his life, I read Misty of Chincoteague, Black Stallion, Heidi, and Till We Have Faces - averaging about one book a night.


Then earlier this week, Bryce and I were discussing Lent and what we could possibly "give up" during this season to focus more on Jesus. He thought that I should maybe take a break from Facebook but it's one of my main forms of entertainment / connection at the moment. So, instead, I decided to "do" instead of "give up" and tackle some of the non-fiction reading that I've been meaning to do but keep putting off. Right now, I'm working on Radical by David Platt. Next I plan to finish Surprised by Hope by N.T. Wright (which I started almost 2 years ago and have yet to finish!). I'm liking this new plan and hope to get through quite a bit of my I'll-get-to-it stack of books by the time Easter rolls around.

These night feedings could actually be enjoyable and a time of growth for me!
I'll keep you posted...

4 comments:

  1. so awesome to see how you are taking to motherhood! glad to hear the transition is treating you well - apparently super well seeing as you can stay awake to read while you feed your little man! wow. congrats again, your baby is beautiful.
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major props Jana! I was never a reader during those night feedings. I was a solitaire player. I think yours is way more productive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! Sounds like you have some quality books on that list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janna. Just have to say... Justus is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete