Thursday, March 15, 2012

tiredness and other thoughts

My baby is 5 weeks old today. Sometimes his cuteness is more than I can handle.

Over the last week, JD has developed a bit of colic in the evenings. How do I have a feeling that we're on a long road with this one? An inconsolable baby is never fun. He's asleep on me right now and I really want to go to bed but I really do not want to move the baby who is finally asleep. Thus the reason I'm blogging at midnight.

JD weighs about 10 pounds now. He's in the 50th percentile for weight and almost off the charts for length (long and skinny!). Growing right on target from his first checkup.

How can such a small person steal so much sleep? I feel this deep tiredness behind my eyes and no amount of napping will help (when I do get a nap, uninterrupted by a crying baby). What sleep I do get comes in 2-3 hour snatches. This is hard work. I long for the night when I can get 5-6 hours in a row.

I'm still in some pain from the birth and it's starting to be frustrating. I can't stand comfortably for more than 3-5 minutes. Even just walking around the house or sitting too long on the couch is painful. Hopefully they have some answers for me at my postpartum appointment tomorrow. I really wanted to take a walk today but couldn't because it would be too painful.

Speaking of walks, the weather is super crazy! 70 degrees in March in Indiana? What? I am a winter-loving girl so the lack of blizzard conditions and below-0 degrees temperatures is quite disappointing for me (for real!) but I must admit that the smell of spring that I smelled today was pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to doing some work in our yard and going on walks with Justus and just sitting outside on our deck. 

JD is starting to lose some of his infant hair. And it's very sad. I miss it already. The fast changes that come with a baby are not very easy for this super-sentimental girl.

Okay.....time to very carefully swaddle the baby and put him in the cradle. Hopefully he'll keep sleeping!


1 comment:

  1. i hope he kept sleeping for you! the last three nights with our boys we have been up every hour. they've both had high fevers on and off and it's making them really cranky and sad :( i feel your sleep-deprived pain. though we may not sleep consistently through the night for the next 6-10 years, there will be blessed moments of rest, i assure you. and while the sleep will be missed i bet you'll remember it forever ;) it's easier to be sentimental about sleepless nights when they're further behind you.

    we heard from a wonderful nurse at our hospital, when nolan was born, that her baby dealt with colic a little and she said that her best advice was setting up a routine of bathing her at night. she said the warm water helped sooth her. hope that helps! i don't know if you've read it, but babywise was always a huge help for us as well. blessings!!

    ReplyDelete