Silas Fredric has been with us for three weeks already.
Memories from our first three weeks together:
* Brief birth story synopsis: Woke up with contractions at 4am on Sunday, December 1. Labored at home until around noon. Was 4cm dilated when we got to the hospital. Got an epidural around 2:30pm (hallelujah). Stalled out at 9cm and started Pitocin around 6pm. Pushed for about a half hour and he was born at 9:42pm, 7 lb 15 oz and 20.5 inches long.
* Silas means "wood, forest" and Fredric (named after Bryce's paternal grandfather) means "peaceful ruler." Our verse for the little man is Psalm 1:1-3: "Blessed is the one who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, who yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers."
* Silas is such a happy and content little baby. I remember Justus being pretty easy but Silas seems even easier. Maybe it's because I feel much more confident with an infant the second time around. Bryce even noticed it before I could voice how I was feeling--I'm more comfortable with caring for a baby. He is such a joy!
* I love watching Bryce and his boys. He's such a good dad and I'm so happy that he has two boys now. It's such a blessing to watch the three of them snuggling on the couch together--makes me melt.
* The question we get the most is "How is Justus doing with Silas?" The first week home was a little rough because Justus was sick with a bad cold, and Silas also got the cold (poor guy). But, since then, overall JD is doing great! He asks about "Baby Sis" constantly (that's pronounced "S-eye-s"). Loves to try to hold him. Gives lots of kisses . . . to the point of almost smothering him sometimes.
* Silas is a sleepy little one. At first he didn't want to be swaddled or to sleep in the cradle, which made nights a little rough, but he's doing better now. He's usually a little restless until midnight or one but then will sleep pretty well between feedings until 8 or 9am. He still eats every 2.5-3 hours, 24/7. I'm looking forward to some longer stretches at night. Hopefully that will start soon.
* Bryce was home for 1.5 weeks after Silas was born and then my mom came for almost a week. I've had 3 days by myself with the boys. It's not too bad, but I haven't yet figured out how to get a shower or what to do when I'm trying to feed JD dinner and Silas is crying to be fed. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough.
* Here's a comparison picture of the two boys when they're both around 3 weeks old. I can see the resemblance! At first we thought they didn't look too much alike, but I don't think that's true anymore.