Sunday, January 13, 2013

She Called Me Mom

Since Miss G, our first Safe Families child (that I wrote about here), we were blessed by a visit from Mr. W, Miss RR, and then Miss C. Now C was our toughest little booger yet. I can't quite put my finger on why, but she was exhausting and challenging. C was constantly moving, constantly touching, constantly into something--constant energy and emotion. She was only with us for five days, but I was worn out by the end.

And yet, her little smile was so adorable. I'd be upset with her and then C would grin at me and I couldn't help but melt a little. And she was the first one to call me "Mom."

Look at me, Mom.
Come over here, Mom.
Look at this, Mom.
I'm running, Mom.
Let's read a book, Mom.
Look, Mom.
(She liked to say "look" a lot.)

Every other sentence: "Mom." Literally. She regularly talked about her "Mommy" at home but I was always "Mom." I tried to reinforce "Miss Jana" but it never happened.


Towards the end of the week (and the end of my rope), it suddenly occurred to me: this is the first little person to ever call me "Mom." Not even Justus has called me Mom yet (at least not on purpose, he says "mamamamam" a lot and it's not particularly directed at me so it doesn't really count). And I looked at the precious little girl in a new way. For five days, I was a Mom to her. What a responsibility; what a privilege.

On her last day with us, I happened to read C's paperwork more carefully and realized that it was her third birthday! While JD was napping, I quickly scrounged up a little birthday celebration. Miss C blew out a Christmas candle (twice, because it was so much fun), ate a chocolate cheesecake bar dessert (that I happened to have in the fridge, thank goodness), and opened up a gift of a necklace & bracelet (that I had picked up as a Christmas gift for Miss RR--praise the Lord!). How special to celebrate her before she left us.

What a crazy, yet lovable, child.
What a learning experience.
What a blessing.

I will forever remember C as the first child to call me Mom.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I forgot you were able to meet her! That was a fun evening. :)

      Delete
  2. what a gift you are to her and all those other kids!
    you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post, Jana. It seems so much like the Lord to provide an opportunity for you to celebrate her birthday like that. He is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--so true! At the end of a rough weeek, it really was a blessing to do a little something special for her.

      Delete