adapted from this recipe
Mix the following in the crock pot:
- Almost 5 lbs of potatoes, cleaned and diced (as much as your crock pot will hold + veggies) Note: yellow potatos are a good soup potato
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 celery stalks, finely chopped
- baby carrots, a good amount, coarsely chopped
- a heaping spoonful of minced garlic
- a good amount of ground pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 heaping tsp parsley
- 32 oz of chicken broth or stock
- enough water to cover the potatoes
Stir & mash some of the potatoes with a potato masher.
Cook for 2 hours more, or until potatoes & carrots are soft enough to poke.
Whisk together 1/2 cup flour and 16 oz of half & half.
Cut up 16 oz of sausage into bite size pieces.
If needed, take out extra liquid from the soup (I removed about 8 oz).
Stir in milk mixture & sausage.
Cook for 30 minutes longer on high.
To serve, top with bacon bits & shredded cheese. Or it's delicious as-is!