Thursday, July 25, 2013

Justus @ almost-18-months

Can you believe our little man is almost one and half years old? Here are a few memories, from the past month up to current.....spelling out "eighteen," of course.

E - is for eating. So....Justus used to be a good little eater. And he still sort of is. But I think we've determined that he's just too busy and distracted to eat. After about 5 minutes, he starts reaching for the booster seat buckle, saying "Get down?" and "All done." Sometimes it's torture to get a decent meal in him, but he's a growing boy and needs the food, right?

I - is for incredible: Justus is praying at dinner. Okay, so he's just holding our hands and bowing his head and muttering in a very serious, low voice, but it's beyond precious. Bryce and I couldn't believe it when he initiated praying on his own the other night and proceeded to do the above. We always hold hands when we pray with him, so that's the cue to start praying, he mumbles seriously and then gives a big "Amen!"

G - is for going....going....going. Our little man never stops moving from the moment he gets up. Unless it's to take a little break while laying on top of the dog. Sometimes Justus is running in circles in his crib when I get him up in the morning. And, by the end of the day, when he reaches the slap-happy phase, he likes to run laps around the couch, while giggling. This increased movement and activity was accompanied by a decrease in nap times. Now he naps for 2-3 hours in the afternoon--no more morning nap. A little sad, but also nice because it makes it easier to do things with him during the day.

H - is for "hi!" JD has this adorable little pinching-wave that he does with his pointer finger and thumb. I took him grocery shopping with me earlier this week and he waved and said "hi!" to almost every person we passed. It made my mama-heart very happy when someone would smile and acknowledge him.

T - is for talking! His vocabulary has exploded in the past month. Some of his first words: doggie, daddy, guitar, bottle, diaper. Other words he now says quite often: snack, drink, please, all done, good job, get down, bird, mailman, airplane, mama, outside, bath. And by "says" I mean that we can understand him pretty well, but most words are still a little jumbled.

E - is for every day, outside every day. JD and I usually go out in the morning before it gets too hot. I fill up his water table, and he plays in the water, walks around the backyard, finds a few sticks to carry around, climbs up into the play set, follows the dog around, picks a clover flower or two, lets me swing him for a few minutes, and then comes back to the water to start all over again. We also go on a walk almost every day and he's quite content in the stroller with a snack.

E - is for everything is a ball, and I mean everything. Anything that looks moderately round or circular. Today I found him corralling 5 balls in the dining room, trying to keep all of his favorite possessions together. Oh, something else funny about the dining room: lately Justus likes to push around the dining room chairs. From my vantage point working in the kitchen, all I can see is the chairs moving, as if pushed by a ghost--it makes me laugh every time.

N - is for never . . . as in, I never knew an 18 month old could be so much fun and such a joy. When I look into his dark brown eyes and rub his little pooh belly and snuggle while he drinks a bottle, such contentment fills me. I asked Bryce the other day what in the world we did before chasing around a little boy. I can hardly remember, and I don't want to--I wouldn't have it any other way right now. Justus Daniel: you are a joy to your mama and I love you so.

One by one, JD brought me all of the boxes of cereal from the pantry. "I'm hungry, mom!"

First bike ride with daddy.

Our little family at a 4th of July event downtown.



Playing with Cousin Everett.

Just hanging out in the stroller.

JD loves to wear my shoes around the house.

Yes, that is a plateful of broccoli. And he loves it!


First time in a pool . . . he was pretty indifferent but didn't seem to mind it.



Peek-a-boo!

This happens all the time. Poor dog.

Listening to music in the headphones.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We need to come hang out with you guys at the pool sometime!

      Delete
  2. You have such a precious boy, Jana! Its cool to hear all the things that are happening with him and to see how he is growing. As for the short attention span with eating, that makes complete sense. Most kids don't like having to sit and eat. But they all learn at some point in time. ^_^ I'm glad to hear things are going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naomi! Justus is a joy, that's for sure! And we're hoping that eating thing settles down soon. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, how I love your Justus updates! How precious it is that he's already started to pray. They sure do pick up on those things at such a young age. How thankful I am that Justus gets to grow up in such a godly home with such loving parents. You guys are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just now catching up on my blog reading ... LOVE this jana! Thanks for the update! JD is absolutely adorable. So thankful for my little nephew. He reminds me so much of what N was like when we little. I think we have some trouble (fun trouble) in the years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of blogs....just for you. :) JD is definitely "chatting" up a storm these days--reminds me of N a lot.

      Delete