Wednesday, July 24, 2013

So. Much. Going. On.

So. Much. Going. On.

That's what my life felt like for a few months. Actually, to be honest there wasn't a lot going on, but what was happening was very overwhelming, all-encompassing.

Where have I been since Feburary? Well . . .

On Monday, February 18, we started a major kitchen remodel. Complete with drywall dust, crockpot meals for dinner every night for six weeks, a stressed out wife from the mess and upheaval, and a beautiful result (thanks to my very talented husband).

On Wednesday, March 27, we finished up a few things from the kitchen project in the morning and welcomed three foster children for 11 days at 4:30 p.m., ages 10, 5 and 3. They left at noon on Sunday, April 7.

On Wednesday, April 10, we received a call from a case worker about two children who needed a home immediately . . . that afternoon . . . for possibly the long-haul. Miss L and Mr. N arrived around 4 p.m.

On Sunday, April 14, we found out we were pregnant.

L (2 years) and N (1 year) fit right into our lives . . . and greatly disrupted our world. Parent visits downtown twice a week. Eating dinner battles. Temper tantrums. Disobedience. Sickness and doctor visits.

Looking back, it's hard to put into words what their time with us looked like. It doesn't seem like it should have been so hard, but with (basically) triplets, quite suddenly, I was overwhelmed. It was hard to love, hard to have enough patience. I remember one specific day when I called Bryce at work, sobbing, telling him that I couldn't do it one more minute (with 3 kids crying/shouting in the background and a throbbing forehead from a flying block).

The time they were with us: no church for me, very little social interaction, lots of pregnancy hormones & tiredness. It felt like a dark hole at times. And, yet, Jesus was so faithful through it all. In the midst of my weakness and failure. And when I reached out to friends, they were so loving and prayerful on my behalf.

By mid-May and with no parental reunification in sight, we knew that we could not continue much longer (and by "we," I mostly mean "I"), so we asked the case workers to find another family. God graciously provided the perfect spot and the children moved to their new home on June 1st, just a few days shy of 8 weeks with us. Our first foster placement: cut short. And yet, such great relief.

There's been much processing since. Lots of deep breaths and recovering going on in this household. We certainly learned a lot and are doing a bit of rethinking on our steps going forward. Oh may God give us great wisdom as we move forward in our foster/adoption journey, with just a slight pause with a new baby coming.

{Don't worry.....more posts to come about JD and new baby and other ramblings!}

This song by Josh Wilson was my anthem for a few weeks:


  1. Yes, so much going on indeed! I really appreciate your honesty both in this blog post and while you were going through it all. How thankful we are for Jesus, indeed!

    1. Vulnerabilty is so important, isn't it? Helps us remember how much we need Jesus and each other! Thanks for praying with/for me.