Friday, April 25, 2014

Easter Reflections

Easter Week Readings

Accounts of Jesus' Passion Week
Monday - Matthew 26:1-56
Tuesday - Mark 14:1-52
Wednesday - Luke 22:1-53
Thursday - portions of John 12-18:11

Accounts of Jesus' Death and Burial
Good Friday - Matthew 26:57-27:66 and Mark 14:53-15:47
Saturday - Luke 22:54-23:56 and John 18:12-19:42

Accounts of Jesus' Resurrection and Appearances
Easter Sunday - Matthew 28:1-20, Mark 16, Luke 24:1-53, and John 20:1-21:25

I followed the above schedule for my Easter readings this year and it was wonderful to truly immerse myself in the story during Easter week. Easter Sunday is my favorite day of the year, and all of my reading throughout the week served to prepare my heart for a joyous celebration of Jesus' resurrection.

On Good Friday, as I was meditating on the accounts of Jesus' death and burial, this passage from Matthew stood out to me:

Matthew 27:27-31
Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the governor's headquarters, and they gathered the whole battalion before him. And they stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on his head and put a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him, they mocked him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews! And they spit on him and took the reed and struck him on the head. And when they had mocked him, they stripped him of the robe and put his own clothes on him and led him away to crucify him.

And I thought: oh, little did they know! The One they so carelessly mocked is the One Who holds the universe together. So I decided to search for a passage in Revelation with a scene of Jesus in His true splendor and being worshiped appropriately . . . and I found this one, with quite striking connections.

Revelation 19:11-14
Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many crowns, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heavenarrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses.

* scarlet robe of mockery . . . clothed in a robe dipped in blood
* crown of thorns . . . many crowns upon his head
* whole battalion of Roman soldiers . . . the armies of heaven
* mocking "Hail, King of the Jews!" . . . Faithful and True, The Word of God, and even a Name no one knows

My heart rejoiced. Hallelujah! Our Faithful and True judge will one day come to reign sovereign over all, and The Word of God is and will be victorious!

1 comment:

  1. I've never really made those connections before, Jana. Thanks so much for sharing! I'll have to try out your Easter reading plan next year during Passion week.

    ReplyDelete