Friday, December 12, 2014

{Advent} Jesus is our Counselor

Jesus is our Counselor
“For to us a Child is born, to us a Son is given . . . 
And He will be called . . . Counselor(Is. 9.6)


The Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him [Jesus]—
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord . . . (Is. 11.2) 


Who are we to think we could "counsel" God Almighty?

To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are His.
(Job 12.13) 

Who can fathom the Spirit of the Lord, or instruct the Lord as His counselor? 
(Is. 40.13)

Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been His counselor? 
(Rom. 11.34)


Who are we that God stoops to provide counsel to us?

I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. (Ps. 16.7)

I [God] will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with My loving eye on you. (Ps 32.8) 

You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will take me into glory. (Ps. 73.24) 

Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors. (Ps. 119.24)

Who are we that God gave such a gracious gift of The Counselor?
 
And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth. (Jn. 14.16-17)

...the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (Jn. 14:26)

When He [the Counselor] comes, He will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment. . . . when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth. (Jn. 16.8, 13)


All praise to Jesus! 
Truly You are the Counselor above all counselors. Forgive us, Lord, for even attempting to offer You "counsel" on the way we think You should run our lives, or the world. May we submit joyfully to the Counselor, the Spirit of Truth, and may He guide us into Truth. 
This Christmas season we meditate on Jesus our Counselor.
 
__________________________
More advent posts:
Jesus is our Wonderful
Jesus is our Mighty God
Jesus is our Everlasting Father 
Jesus is our Prince of Peace 

*First tree photo provided by Christina Schenke, editing by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment