Tuesday, July 26, 2016

FROM FLEETING TO FOREVER

- - - - - - - - - -

What does God’s Word say about this world?
What is truly important and where do our desires lie?
Who (or what) holds our hearts?


According to the Word, this world is passing away: “For this world in its present form is passing away…” (1 Cor. 7:31). Even significant things--spouses, kids, careers, noble endeavors--are not the end-all goal and purpose in life. “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his [family]—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:26 AMP).


This world is fleeting: passing swiftly, vanishing quickly.

All we so closely cling to is actually worth nothing in the end. Our hearts want to rise up and say, “That can’t be true!” and “How can Jesus say to hate our family? My work is worthwhile; my family is precious to me.”

And yet the Apostle Paul considers all that which is fleeting to be as loss to him. “But whatever former things I had that might have been gains to me, I have come to consider as one combined loss for Christ's sake. Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord and of progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him. For His sake I have lost everything and consider it all to be mere rubbish, in order that I may win Christ” (Phil. 3:7-8 AMP, emphases mine).

Paul’s prestige, his titles, his learning, his training, his connections, his heritage, his zeal for doing the right thing, his accomplishments--Matthew Henry says that Paul, “…counted [all of] them loss; not only insufficient to enrich him, but what would certainly impoverish and ruin him, if he trusted in them, in opposition to Christ. . . . He not only counted them loss, but dung . . . thrown to dogs; they are not only less valuable than Christ, but in the highest degree contemptible, when they come in competition with him.”

This world is passing away--fleeting.
But Jesus is FOREVER.

This world is to be considered as loss compared to knowing Jesus. Winning Jesus. The Apostle Paul says: “For my determined purpose is that I may know Him” (Phil. 3:10 AMP). Jesus is the answer to what is truly important, what our heart’s desire most. He is the One Who should hold the place of greatest worth within us. He must be our One Thing.

Let us consider if we can honestly say with David: “One thing have I asked of the Lord, that I will seek, inquire for, and insistently require: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord in His presence all the days of my life, to behold and gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to meditate, consider, and inquire in His temple” (Psalm 27:4 AMP, emphasis mine).


All I know is everything I have means nothing, Jesus,

 if You're not my One Thing, everything I need right now.

All want is everything You are and nothing, Jesus,

if You're not my One Thing, everything to me right now.

Let's not be afraid to search within and ask hard questions of ourselves. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal fleeting pleasures and pursuits in your life. Is the Word piercing your heart and revealing to you places where Jesus is not Lord of your life? Is your “determined purpose” in life anything less than knowing Him? Is He truly your One Thing? 


No comments:

Post a Comment