Thursday, July 21, 2016

HE'S MY FATHER TOO

So you are no longer a slave, but God's child; 
and since you are His child, God has made you also an heir. 
Galatians 4:7

God is our Heavenly Father.

We sing of a "Good, Good Father" and my soul clings to the words on behalf of hurting children, fatherless children. (And by "children" I mean those who are young, as well as those who are grown up but still missing their daddy.)

I've seen many searching for answers far and wide
But I know we're all searching for answers only You provide
Cause You know just what we need before we say a word


We all have such different experiences of earthly fathers:

Absent Dad
My three foster children most likely didn't know the love of a father, until they entered our home. I wonder if their hearts still ache with some sort of void . . . formative years without a father's protection and care. And so I trust God and pray on their behalf, believing that He is more than enough to fill their little hearts.

Missing Dad
My heart hurts for those who have lost their fathers recently or don't enjoy a close relationship with their dad. So I pray for them too, that they may know the deep, true love of our Father God and hold on to Him in trust, even in the shadow.

My Dad
My growing up years were beautiful. How I love my earthly daddy. Still remember like yesterday the time he sent me flowers on Valentines Day during my freshman year of college. Far from home and no boyfriend in sight: those flowers meant the world to me. He took care of me so well.


Because you are His sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts,
the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."
Galatians 4:6

Our God is a wonderful Father for others--yes, this is true--and I can pray to Him as a Father on their behalf. In the midst of these long days of being constantly in "parenting mode": training and teaching and taking care of children, He has spoken quietly to me. This wonderful Heavenly Father has encouraged me to take a deep breath of surrender and relief, to remember that He is a Father to me as well.

I am God's child. He relates to me as a loving Father and I am His beloved Daughter. He sees me: the sometimes fearful nights, long days with five under 5, and the struggle to get everything done. My Heavenly Father is interested in the details and the everyday. I am redeemed and saved--claimed as His own. And He delights in me.

He is my Father, too.

I'm no longer a slave to fear; I am a child of God
From my mother's womb You have chosen me
Love has called my name
I've been born again into Your family
Your blood flows through my veins


No comments:

Post a Comment