- - - - - - - - - -
We've heard it a few times: "So, are you about done with the house now?" And then Bryce and I either laugh a lot or cry a little....kidding, sort of. Friends, this Tree House Project is on the 5 to 10 year plan! Literally. We'll be chipping away for many years to come.
Here's just an overview of what is to come (hopefully, Lord-willing and cash-flow-supported). Red font means it's in process or already done and blue font means it's probably next on the list!
Main floor of the house
- downstairs trim--in process
- dining room board & batten wall treatment
- kitchen: wine rack, toe kick under the cabinets, drawer front under the microwave--already done, sliding barn door
- front door rebuilt with new door and sidelights (it's currently rotting away)
- built-in corner computer desk in the library
- build out the fireplace hearth
- laundry room storage & functionality: mudroom-esque organization, built-ins by the washer/dryer, etc.
- all new interior doors (10) and closet doors (10)
Honest picture here, folks. Current state of our master closets. Also shown: the last 5 boxes we have yet to unpack.....which we can unpack once the closets are fitted out properly. They're painted already--just need to build the hanging and storage systems. (By "we," I mean Bryce, of course.)
Basement and upstairs
- master closet organization system
- insulate attic
- kids bathroom redo--tile shower walls, tile floor, new sinks & vanity top, etc.
- master bathroom gut & remodel (add another sink? move walls & plumbing? it could be a big project...)
- clean out the basement (currently a project/attic catch-all)
- finish basement with two music studio rooms, a guest bedroom, storage room, and living area (this includes everything: walls, flooring, paint the ceiling, electrical, etc.)
- new sliding door and window in the basement
There will eventually be a big grassy field back behind the driveway, all the way to the barely-visible barn. Bryce has cleared many trees and brush already. If we squint real hard, we can imagine it!
Evidence of cleared trees. There's still so many dead ones yet to clear. The yard is going to look so different over the next few years.
- clean up the garage--in process
- get a 4-wheeler--done
- clean out the pole barn--in process
- clear the brush field to make a yard between the house and the barn--in process
- build a chicken coop--in process
- new garage door and opener system--ordered (we can park in the garage this winter!)
- install a gravel drive to the barn--ordered
- build a garden (next summer hopefully)
- new insulation, siding, and windows for the entire house (we're saving to do this one in the next year or two...#majorproject)
- get chickens and maybe goats at some point
Thirteen years of neglect means that the flower beds looks like this. I'm so overwhelmed on where to start that I haven't even tried to tackle it this year. Maybe next spring . . .
And the outside list continues:
- add flooring in the attic above the garage
- build mini-barn
- landscape around the house
- grade and re-seed the yard
- refinish the deck
- add a window to the living room
- build a front porch
- rebuild the chimney
- build a treehouse (#priorities)
- and so much more.....create a pasture for the animals, build a fire-pit area, etc. etc. etc.
So now you can see why it's hard to give an answer to "so what's next?" Hmmmm.....there's only a million things on the list! But this journey has been fun. And we're going to continue to enjoy the process of making our Tree House a home.