Wednesday, March 1, 2017

DON'T TRUST YOUR HEART

- - - - - - - - - - 

Do you trust your heart? Do you let it control your thoughts and feelings?

Sometimes (okay, lots of times . . . too often) I lay in bed at night, remembering the day. And memories rise up to condemn me. My heart points out all of my failings toward the children, etc. and a great sinking-feeling overwhelms me.

This week, though, I was reminded of the fallen-ness of my own heart. Why do I persist in trusting it?

My flesh and my heart may fail... (Ps 73:26) -- my heart is going to fail!
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jer 17:9) -- deceitful, no cure! and I can't even understand my own heart.
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you. (Ez 36:26) -- my heart is so far gone that I need God to give me a new one.
Search me, O God, and know my heart... (Ps 139:23) -- I need Him to search and know my heart, because I certainly can't and don't.




There is a verse in 1 John that sparked the whole change in my thinking: Wait a minute! I don't need to lay there and let my heart condemn me. There is One Who is so much GREATER!

This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His Presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything. (1 John 3:19-20)

There is a place and time for letting our conscience (via the Holy Spirit) point out areas of failing/sin and lead us to walk in confession and repentance. But there is never a need to wallow in condemnation. (Notice it says "when" our hearts condemn us, not "if"!) My heart is not trustworthy. But I can trust HIM. He will help me to walk in the truth. He will bring gentle conviction, not condemnation. He can and will bring rest to my heart.

His Presence is where I need to stay and where my heart can be at rest.
God is GREATER than my heart.
He Knows Everything (even/especially me).

Do you trust your heart?
Maybe we need to rethink that a bit and instead trust in the One Who is greater than our hearts.
Our Heart Rescuer. Heart-Rest-Maker.

I think I have a new verse to whisper to myself at night . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment