Monday, May 1, 2017

THE EVOLUTION OF A WALL

- - - - - - - - - -

It's time for a Tree House update! The wall of built-ins in the fireplace room was desperate for fresh color. And I was desperate to unpack my books. Over the course of a few weeks, I cleaned and scraped and painted and stained and painted some more. 


The main built-in structure and shelves got a coat of "Dorian Gray" (same gray as the bedrooms upstairs, two shades darker than the gray on the walls of the main floor). The back of the shelves I painted "Jasper" by Valspar, a deep green. The crown molding got a fresh coat of bright white. Plus, I stained the mantel a dark espresso brown and Bryce removed the corbels. 

Here is the evolution in pictures: from listing photo to current.

Listing photo.

New wood stove (surround still needs to be added).

Starting the painting!

Couldn't wait to get the dark green started!

One side done!

Both sides done! And the fireplace surround is up.

Painting 16 shelves in the basement.

Staining the mantle--the old reddish-brown is on the bottom.

Stained mantle and corbels are gone.

Lower cabinet doors are drying, and finally was able to unpack all of our games on the bottom shelves. This is an accurate photo of projects in the midst of real life.

Bright white crown molding (made such a difference).

Bright white crown molding and shelves in place. Trying out different lights. Bryce put on new outlet covers and added a plug underneath for the stove.

Unpacking all the books after the shelves dried for two weeks. Such a happy day!

Books on shelves but not styled yet.

Doing my styling thing: put a few things in, step back and look, repeat a million times.

I didn't know Bryce was sneaking photos of me.

And the final reveal! The room feels so much more like home now and I am relieved to have all of my old book friends back again.

BEFORE



AFTER







No comments:

Post a Comment